Top 10 ‘drag you down, get in the way of making good things happen’ thoughts to eliminate from your day...
- Defeatist (better to be positively expectant than anticipate defeat)
- Cynical (challenge things (kindly) when necessary but avoid unjustified distrust of human nature and motives)
- Resentful (drop the ego as quickly as you can and give the energy to something more profitable … maybe it’s time for a 48-hour ego cleanse).
- Vindictive (life is limited … either work to rebuild a trusting relationship or peacefully detach from the people who hurt you)
- Regretful (it’s done ... what can I learn and what am I going to do now?)
- Wishful (do what you can to influence the situation/project/deal and keep moving forward)
- Self-pity (get over yourself ... dump the drama ... here's how)
- Worry (it won't help, costs time, and it may never happen)
- Otherly (avoid being overly concerned with what others are doing, saying, and thinking unless that concern can improve things for everyone … otherly isn’t a real word … yet)
- Jealous (want it? earn it)
“A person should take away not only unnecessary acts, but also unnecessary thoughts, for thus superfluous acts will not follow after … Don’t be disturbed.
Marcus Aurelius | 121-180 | Roman emperor
Look below for how I handle my wasteful thinking...
Eliminating wasteful thoughts might be impossible but minimizing them (and their impact) is completely doable.
- Recognize them when they come up.
- Remind myself they’re a costly distraction.
- Redirect my thinking (and/or doing) to something positive.
Embrace simplicity. Practice and perfect.
Wasteful thoughts provided by your InspireYourPeople.com team. They’re not our thoughts, you understand. We have friends with these thoughts ;-)
The Aurelius thoughts are from his notes to himself … later published as the book, ‘Meditations’. The first sentence is from an older translation. The second and third sentences are from Gregory Hays’s translation in 2002.