By Sam Parker
2 questions to keep you moving forward ... no matter what.
Because things will happen (the good, the bad, the in-between). Every day.
How we move forward with each is our choice.
When something bad happens we need to ask ourselves…
What will we do with what we've learned from the experience?
How will we press on regardless of the past?
We might need to stop what we've been doing, or we might need to do a little more. We may need to do something completely different.
But we need to rise and keep moving forward. It's how we get to the good things.
And once we get to those good things, we need to ask ourselves…
What will we do with the progress we've made?
We acknowledge it. We enjoy it. We celebrate it.
But then we ask ourselves how we can reach for even better. What's the next step?
Because we don't want to rest in complacency.
We want to be responsible to better ... to progress ... to the future.
We rise. We reach. Anything else ... we're just sleeping.
How do you help people keep Rising & Reaching?
Share them. Have a conversation around the ideas. Make the points a topic for a quick (and important) meeting. All kinds of ideas are below.
The cards (and other gear) will help you make it real. All of it will help everyone make the deeper and more meaningful connection to the importance of moving forward ... regardless of circumstances.
"With awareness, comes responsibility." - Sam Parker
More ideas on how to use the material...
- Hand out the reminder cards to your team and talk about the ideas together ... a quick meeting to remind everyone to be positive and minimize any negativity that can get in the way of making the good things happen.
- Include the reminder cards or 5 x 7 prints with other handouts at a meeting as an added reminder.
- Put out the mugs or water bottles to set the tone at your next meeting.
- Use the cards or prints to reinforce a focus-on-results attitude for an upcoming project or when announcing a new organizational objective. ("It's going to be challenging but also exciting when we make it happen. As leaders, let's be sure to encourage everyone to be positive and stay focused on results ... to Rise & Reach.")
- Attach a reminder card to a pay stub with a note of congratulations ("Thanks for Rising & Reaching!").
- Include the cards or prints with any internal organizational mailings.
- To add value to a book you give someone, place a reminder card inside. They make great bookmarks.
- Introduce the ideas to everyone in a meeting with a mini speech. Then leave a reminder card or print on everyone's desk (or stand one up in everyone's computer keyboard) a couple weeks later to reinforce the ideas.
- Give the cards or mugs out to new hires in your onboarding package.
- Put the posters up in the office, in a break room, or at the site of your next meeting.